Project Lead Sahel (1,0 FTE)
PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
In Africa, PAX is active in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and in the Sahel region. PAX is looking to recruit an experienced project lead for its new peace building projects in the Sahel region, more specifically in Niger and Burkina Faso.
Project Lead Sahel (1,0 FTE)
The position is available for 1,0 FTE, based on a 36 hour working week. The Project Lead can either stay at HQ (Utrecht) and travel regularly to the field, or opt for a full time presence in the field (Ouagadougou).
PAX is a political peace building organisation. The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced peace building professional with strong understanding of how to combine peace building partnerships for targeted programming with strategic evidence based advocacy and public outreach to achieve maximum impact.
- Strategy development & policy lead
- Lobby & advocacy
- Development and implementation of peace projects and initiatives with local partners.
- Development and (where relevant) execution of research proposals for the benefit of advocacy and/or learning
- Communication and public outreach
- Project cycle management of several peace building projects incl. budget responsibility
- Developing & maintaining donor relations and fundraising
- Coordination of relations with (international) partners and donors for program implementation and/or joint advocacy initiatives
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, International relations, Politics or Law
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience in the transformation of conflict dynamics at several levels and/or in addressing the root causes of conflicts and deteriorated human security situations
- A good understanding of the political dimension and dynamics of peace work, and the ability and flexibility to seize upon the opportunities which arise;
- Extensive project management skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with programming and advocacy on peacebuilding topics such as: conflict transformation, Dealing with the Past, the political economy, natural resources and conflict, gender, peace & security;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the Sahel region (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger) and more generally Central/West Africa, knowledge of current political and peace keeping processes in the region
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others;
- Fluency in French and professional working proficiency in English are required.
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; inventive and assertive attitude;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to Sahel region on a regular basis or to stay in Ouagadougou;
- Eligible to work in the EU (when candidate prefers to work from HQ)
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- Appointment for 36 hours per week;
- Appointment starting as soon as possible;
- Pay scale 10 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min 2503,87 – 4235,15 euro max gross per month (for a fulltime position of 36 hours p/ week)
Procedure and information
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Jeroen Corduwener, only by using the application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is November 26, 2020.
Interviews will be as soon as possible after the closing date, preferably in the week after the closing date.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.